BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

.

Monday, January 23, 2012

New Medicine Cards, Container garden Update, Earth Lodges

I've gotten a bit behind on making my deck of medicine cards. I don't intend on catching up, they will get made as they see fit to being made. Here are 2 that I have made Salmon and Wolf.

SALMON (wisdom, inner knowing, determination) - Salmon has the wisdom of instinct in finding its way back to
source. Outer world circumstances cannot deter salmon from completing the great circle of like. Salmon is
determined to move towards its goal regardless of worldly obstacles. Reclaim your inner knowledge. It is time to
look within to find your direction, then let no obstacle get in your way on your journey.

Medicine Card Salmon

WOLF (teacher) - Time to share the medicine of new ideas. A pathfinder. Have a
sense of both family and individuality. Balance aloneness and community. Expand your
view. Open to new ways. Teaches understanding. Teacher of Truth.


Medicine card Wolf


CONTAINER GARDENING:
     It's coming along. I talk to them several times a day. I am so proud of them. While, it may not look like much, I am doing the best I can with what I have on hand. I am hardly in a position to be able to go out and spend money on this project. I have bought a bag of starting soil and a few packets of seeds. Most of the seeds I am using were left overs from last years feeble attempt at outdoor gardening. While overall it went well I would hardly call it a success. The only thing that grew well were cucumbers. 
   I frequently debate the wisdom or choice in even bothering trying to grow vegetables and herbs. I enjoy it and find it relaxing. However, I don't know where I'll even be, or if I will still be around to continue growing a garden. Or how long I will be around and I do know that I will not be able to take them with me. So, sometimes I feel like I am wasting time, resources and energy on something that will not bear fruit. (or vegetables. aha !) Here's a few pictures of what I have going and what has begun to sprout. It has only been a week since I have begun this project. 

So far I have started (on  1-17-12):
Mixed blend of lettuce - Sprouted and growing
Chives - just now (1-23-12) sprouting
Dill - no progress
Peas - sprouted 1-22-12
Pole Beans - sprouted 1-22-12
Red or Green Bell Peppers (from seed I saved last summer) - no progress
Unknown green fruit thingy (from seed I saved from found fruit)- no progress


Tomato (endless summer) - planted seed (1-23-12)
Potatos - (started from saved potatos that started sprouting.)- planted (1-22-12)

and a few pictures to show my work:

Peas

Lettuce


Pole Beans

My Garden ! aha !













It may not look like much at the moment, but I will move peas and beans to separate containers once they get a little bigger.The lettuce will get thinned out, etc. etc.

So, that's pretty much my update.


I have been researching and reading about Mandan/Hidatsa earth Lodges. More than likely will be my chosen, first choice of housing to build on some land, once I get some land. My original thought was to go with Long House, but I feel that an earth lodge is a very spiritual home/way to live. It's more practical, will be warmer and cooler, better and easier to insulate. Its round, like a medicine wheel. If you get a chance there is a very interesting book by Gilbert Wilson called buffalo Bird Womans Garden its a very interesting and informative book on the wisdom of native American gardening and Agriculture.

Mandan earth Lodge


 That pretty much sums up things for now.

Lost and Confused as Usual.
Peace
Bright Blessings
~~ Skooky Tramp

0 comments: