BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

.

Friday, March 4, 2011

Consideration and Stuff

I'm not a very articulate writer. I tend to use short statements that may or may not ramble on in a run on sentence.
Now that's cleared up...

I've been busy mapping my route, again, still and over again. My original estimate of 45 days to travel from Eastern Ohio to Devils Tower, Wyoming was pretty..ummmmm ambitious perhaps. Double checking and I'm guessing closer to 60 days, maybe as many as 75.  I've been using google maps, I have been estimation a low of 20 miles per day traveling. Depending on weather, getting tired and breaks, I imagined it to start with a lower more practical number. This way, when I actually manage 25 to 30 miles a day I'll be impressed.  Not really impressed but that kind of feel good about yourself feeling.

So the mapping has gone really well until I hit western South Dakota near The Badlands National Park, The Black Hills, etc. There's just no easy way around it, or I should say through it. At least not by walking. Seems as if a road wanders around hither and thither then suddenly ends. Given the sparseness of people and all the stuff people feel the need to have around them and harshness of the terrain, it is going to be pretty daunting. My biggest concern is water. and bigfoot, well not really bigfoot, you know. too funny.

So yea, I believe that'll be one of the greater challenges, the South Dakota part.

It'd be nice to have another person or two come along with me. As much as I'd like to see it happen, I am pretty sure it will not happen. Quite a few friends and people say they wish they could do this. Walk across America. I tell them... "You can do it, you choose not to." We all have a certain amount of choice in our lives and we choose what we choose based on priorities. The truth of the matter is in my opinion is that people are shackled down by all there stuff. It reminds me of the "Junk Lady" in the movie Labyrinth starring David Bowie. Treasures and so so much important stuff. It is all weight we carry, not only physically but spiritually. It seems as if sometimes people make up for that emptiness, lack of spirituality by owning stuff. the physical.

OK enough rambling.

summing it all up...
mapping is going good overall.

Want traveling companions.  oh well . . .

In a perfect world I'd live in a small cabin surrounded by nature, trees, hills and such . . .



Peace
be safe
-Skooky

0 comments: